At Georgia Psychiatric Consultants we provide individualized medical treatment for a full spectrum of mental disorders and specialize in:
- ADHD: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is one of the most common childhood disorders and can continue through adolescence and adulthood.
- Eating Disorders: An eating disorder is an illness that causes abnormal or disturbed eating habits, such as eating extremely small amounts of food or severely overeating.
- Anxiety Disorders: Difficulty controlling anxiety may negatively affect day-to-day living, leading to a wide variety of anxiety disorders, compulsive behavior, and/or panic attacks. Anxiety disorders are among the most common mental disorders experienced by Americans.
- Schizophrenia: Schizophrenia is a chronic, severe, and disabling long-term mental disorder involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behavior.
- Alzheimer’s Disease: The most common cause of dementia among older people, Alzheimer’s disease is an irreversible, progressive brain disease that slowly destroys memory and thinking skills and eventually even the ability to carry out the simplest tasks of daily living.
- Depression: Depression is feelings of severe despondency and dejection that interfere with daily life and causes pain for both you and those who care about you.
- Bipolar Disorder: Bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity levels, and the ability to carry out day-to-day tasks.
What to Expect from Georgia Psychiatric Consultants
We start with a complete evaluation of any medical conditions, psychological factors, and other aspects of your life, to determine an accurate diagnosis and identify any factors that may be affecting your mental health. We then work with you and your family to develop a customized treatment plan to help you feel better and improve your quality of life.
Clinical Research Studies at Georgia Psychiatric Consultants
At Georgia Psychiatric Consultants we provide the opportunity for our clients to participate in clinical research trials where we work with several pharmaceutical companies to develop new medications that will be used to treat mental disorders in the future. Clinical research study participants receive an evaluation by a board certified psychiatrist, necessary follow-up visits, investigational drug, and physical and laboratory testing free of charge.
Dr. David Purselle, MD, MS
After graduating magna cum laude with a degree in biomedical engineering from Vanderbilt University in 1992, Dr. David Purselle attended medical school at the University of Alabama School of Medicine and completed a residency in psychiatry at Emory University School of Medicine. He then earned a Master of Science in Clinical Research at Emory University in 2005. As a board certified psychiatrist with over 16 years of clinical experience in Atlanta, GA, Dr Purselle has worked in a variety of settings including outpatient clinics, emergency rooms, and inpatient units at the Atlanta VA Medical Center, Emory University Hospital, and Grady Hospital. Dr. Purselle has been recognized as a physician leader in several forums and presented continuing medical education programs at national and local conferences. He has also served as a consultant for major pharmaceutical corporations providing guidance on development of new therapies for a variety of mental illnesses.
If you would like to request an appointment, learn more about participating in one of our clinical studies, or would like to know more about Dr. Purselle and Georgia Psychiatric Consultants, please call us at (678) 705-8166.